Monday, February 22, 2016

Afflictions Poll

Update: I'll be finishing up the second option and adding the option in the configuration menu to toggle whether or not details will be given about these things, although the text and that option are not a high priority at this moment, and will come later down the line.

---------------------

The next release is being held back due to some issues in the design of the afflictions system a.k.a. the hygiene penalty. Namely, it sucked, and I've been converting everything into something more acceptable. But during all this, I've come to a point where I'd really like some feedback before I continue, since the system implemented now might last quite some time.

There are two ways I could proceed here:

  1. Implement afflictions, diseases, and illnesses with specific names and details. This would make every affliction unique, and would contain more writing, but these wouldn't be pretty. The text might be off-putting or disgusting at some points.

    Having intercourse with zero hygiene could result in some nasty text, developing a specific disease that needs to be tended to. This is more similar to the average afflictions systems you find in RPGs, sans the descriptions about crusty body parts. This option would provide more flavor text.
  2. Implement afflictions, diseases, and illnesses with vague effects. This would spare the nastiness of afflictions, since the player would be given a general idea of what the effects of something were, and there would be a whole page dedicated to detailing what stats are currently being penalized due to afflictions.

    Intercourse with zero hygiene would result in a more vague description, followed by a list of penalties provided. If you've developed multiple afflictions that effected all of your stats, and you used an item to soothe the effects they've had on your vaginal skill, that penalty will erase, and the other symptoms and penalties will still be around (but decreasing more rapidly). This option may be more interesting.
The first method was similar to the original intent, and the second method is something I've been thinking up to replace all of this with so that nobody would catch an illness and immediately distance themselves from the game after reading about it. Most parts of this game, the intent is to add more depth and description, but afflictions may be the exception to this. 

If you could, please make a selection in the poll here. I'll wait for today to pass so I can gather some feedback before completing everything. Anyone can go a step further and post in the comments here why they prefer one over the other.

I apologize to anyone who was waiting on the next update only to have it pushed back by this. The game has been out too long without an actual penalty for having no hygiene, so I really, really need to get this in.

9 comments:

  1. Seems I'm in the minority here but I'd rather get all the details. A text game lives and dies by the descriptions and the details it provides, and it's not like we should be easy to gross out being on the internet in 2016. If anything, it would give even more reason to pursue high hygiene.
    Also, STDs being a step too far in a game where we already accept rape not only as a thing but also as a common one seems arbitrary to me.

    That said in these cases what is common is giving an option to turn on extended descriptions or to reduce them to the bare minimum/remove them altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that shaving text is counter-intuitive to being a text-based game in the beginning. I'm going to go ahead and finish up a system that fits the bill with the second option so I can go ahead and push the update I've been sitting on for what I feel like has been far too long, and later down the line, I'll slip in an option with the ability to enable detailed text for it.

      Delete
  2. Even if you make full detail an option later, I would rather the content be there and released then the optional detail released later - getting the game closer to a more full state is key imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's always something I can revisit later. I'll just leave it a bit short on text for now and focus on the mechanics and core content.

      Delete
  3. I would suggest going method 2 to get the game into Beta/Full first, and there's always a patch for those who prefer a more imaginative description. Win win I say

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown fond of method 2 since I started plugging it in. I'll go ahead and leave it bare for now and create an option to fill in more text later along the development path.

      Delete
    2. So how are things? Still adding new text?

      Cheers

      Delete
    3. Yes! Things are being wrapped up right now, and are going fairly well. At least, as well as they can, considering I thoroughly butchered the deadline I had set to release this update. I haven't posted much this week for reasons I'll bring up in a post tomorrow (along with the update, no really, I promise). Everything is still coming along though.

      Delete