Monday, February 29, 2016

Bounty Alpha 4

I've wrapped up a working build for Bounty Alpha 4. It is available in the downloads tab at the top of this page.

Update: Text import from the new settlements was doing something silly to save files. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it right now. Instead of delaying anything again, I'm just releasing this version with the new settlements disabled, along with a bit of the additional text, since it's otherwise game breaking. I can't stay up any longer, so I'll patch it in tomorrow. Anything in the update notes regarding the new settlements is on hold for another day or two. The items and location events in these places remain inaccessible at this time. This update has been as smooth as cottage cheese.

Caution: Saved data from before Alpha 4 is not compatible with this new version due to changes in the way certain data is stored, and the inclusion of sub-races.

I sure put together a wall of text on this one. The update notes are at the bottom of this post if that's what you're looking for.

I intended to bring forth more timelines sooner rather than later, but ultimately, I've decided to hold off just a little bit longer on that. So much still needs to be changed/added in the base game as is, and it'd just increase the amount of time it would take to make those changes if I pushed more timelines right now. So for now, I'm going to work on fully finishing the first one before releasing the next. This isn't so much an issue of having the content incomplete as it is wanting to get things more polished so that I'm not burning time bringing other timelines in line with the amount of changes I'll be making.

One of the bigger changes this update is the new afflictions system, which causes problems for characters that don't take proper care of their hygiene. Afflictions are a work-in-progress (like everything else) and are subject to being changed. They're not very detailed at the moment, but I do intend to work on more text regarding illnesses and STDs in the future, since there is definitely a demand for it, and it wouldn't make sense to water down the text anyway. The system was put into place with all the proper hooks I need to work on it later, which will be sometime after the next update.

Next Update

While there is still a lot to be done, the next big update I release will address the lack of variety in location events. Right now, almost every event is static. I'll be adding alternate events that occur depending on your perks/race, which will have a huge effect on the way different races will view different regions. Because of this, I want to try to avoid doing anything drastic to race balance before the next big update, as some races will have easier times at certain locations afterwards. This means there will be more events based around exhibition, racial features, paizuri, anal, and a few others. This also means that I'm going to be more extensively considering any suggestions regarding events over the next month - just because I have a lot of planned events and variations doesn't mean that I don't want to hear more. It might as well be called Alpha "The one with all of the good stuff".

While the focus will be polishing locations and adding different scenes that occur, some locations will also gain more options. I'll be focusing on the locations that have less than 3 actions to try to round everything off.

This update will be ready once I have completed at least one alternate event for every single action at each location, although some places will have multiple variations. This will be an intensive update, and is going to take a while to roll out, since I will be over doubling the amount of text I have written to date for that update.

Until then, I'm going to spend a few weeks polishing up what's already here, fixing any issues that get reported and adding quality of life improvements. Data screen, I'm looking at you. It's past your time. I'll also be releasing the incomplete events to fill out the rest of the new locations. And after the next big alpha release, I'll return to hit the mechanics as hard as I can.

Other than this, I'll create a road map to the v1.0 release with all of the thing I need to finalize before the game is considered complete. This will not be a definitive list of features, as things will be added that aren't on the list, and I'll continue adding things long after a v1.0 release. It's basically just a point where I can step back and say, "Wow, I'm really pleased with what's happened so far."

What Happened?

As a lot of you might have noticed, I not only missed the deadline I had set for last week, but I had also fallen off of the radar for almost a week. The initial delay was caused because I overestimated how fast I would be able to get everything prepped by a pretty sizable margin, which meant I needed to push things back a few days. That's entirely my fault - I publicized a deadline, and then completely flew right by it. I know a lot of people don't mind, considering that it just means more time is being put into the game, but I shouldn't post deadlines that I'm unable to meet, so I'll work on that in the future. I won't dish out ETAs until I'm almost prepared to roll things out.

Another thing I wanted to mention for the sake of transparency is that earlier in the week, I lost progress due to a file corruption that occurred during a power outage caused by snow. I was silent for a few days, since I was busy catching up with what I had worked on and making sure everything was okay. Since I back up files weekly, I didn't really lose anything valuable, other than half a week of time. That's nothing, considering how long I'll probably be working on the project. It even gave me a good excuse to re-implement afflictions differently, because I wanted something more dynamic. Everything is okay, and work is progressing as normal.

Anyway, on to the changes in this update.

New additions:

  • Six new advanced settlements have been added, including Island, Capital, Enclave, Cult, Eastern, and Barbarian
    • Each advanced settlement can only be reached from a specific type of settlement, as they are too specialized to attract general traffic from other locations
      • Island settlements are practically resorts, and while they can only be reached by ship, travelers departing these settlements aren't limited to only port cities
      • Capital settlements are hedonistic cities that consume lots of food and are entertained by grand attractions
      • Enclaves are home to wild elves who seek to separate themselves from civilization, but wise traders often know where to find their settlements
      • Cult towns are intent on infiltrating and undermining the primary religion of Vesta
      • Eastern settlements are hidden pockets of a culture unlike the rest of the land, and seem like very attractive stops to those who would study cultures across the world
      • Barbarian villages are recently conquered lands that are still subject to being reformed, often requiring a sizable military presence
    • Locations at these settlements are still a work in progress to be released in the upcoming weeks, so some of the towns may seem very light on the options right now (mostly the coliseum events)
  • Sub-races have been added
    • Pure-blood elves have been compressed into a single elf race
    • All races except half elves have sub-races
  • Naturally Wet, Perfect Ass, Nympho, and Feisty have been granted minor bonuses that are only available for as long as virginity is intact
  • More text additions in various locations
  • When visiting locations, buttons which start events that clash with your options are red
  • Status button and perk button will now brightly glow if you have a free perk to spend
  • Afflictions added
    • Afflictions are currently caught by random chance through encounters, and are very rare unless you have poor hygiene
    • Being came in also increases the chances
    • Afflictions may recover or become less severe at the beginning of each day depending on any perks or modifiers you have to resistances
  • Afflictions screen added to the status menu to give you an overview of your current state

Balance changes:

  • A few locations have had their bonuses increased slightly

Bug fixes:

  • Reverted a change that disabled defeat upon reaching 0 life
  • Versatility should now function as intended
  • Selling virginity no longer grants significantly lower cash than intended
  • No more outdated string insertions, meaning no misplaced spaces and periods

Known Issues:

  • Traveling to and from an island settlement currently has travel encounters that refer to things like "wagons" and "roads", which will be fixed in the future when unique travel encounters are being implemented
  • The coliseum events are very limited right now, as combat encounters require more writing than traditional encounters
    • There is only one option when visiting, which results in one event
    • A future update will add the rest of the events to the coliseum, including progression through different encounters, another option for a different type of fight that might result in things becoming a little more 'heated', and a final option where things are slightly less heated, but still very lewd
    • These encounters will be included individually in any bug fixes/changes I release going forward, as they are completed
  • The new racial menu does not have the readers functioning yet, so there are no racial descriptions as intended.
Finally, since some of the features implemented are highly experimental right now, I'm going to keep the download for the previous alpha available on the downloads page alongside the new version.

10 comments:

  1. Haha all good but we're still cheering ya on. Time to test out the new build :)

    Emails too. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Text cut off is back again, need to fix that or have the scroll down.

    Nice touch on the virgin additionals but only the 2nd one? Maybe more reworks or extras later :)

    The recovery locations are nicer and the gold seems right early on.

    Not tested Fame yet.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember which screens had text running off? I can't figure out which ones aren't using the scrollbar. I'll see of I can get it fixed real fast.

      Fame is similar at the moment because of a few changes I pulled, but I think I found the issue, so if the next import doesn't crash, it'll be in. I'll put a post up about it tomorrow with a small patch and a roadmap. I hope to get some good feedback on the fame tweaks.

      Delete
  3. Brief report:
    Character: Black goblin, played accepting everything to inside and using spermcide. Danger to standard.

    -The diseases seem to be shoddily implemented right now, they stack up really fast to obscene maluses but they aren't applied to the vaginal/anal/etc scores in the status screen, nor seem to actually be doing anything going by the gold I was making.
    -Rapes were like, way more common than I remembered.
    -Removing diseases seems to need keeping hygiene up during quite some time, it seems only really feasible while staying in ports and having enough money to buy a bunch of luxury soaps and still it takes really long.
    -The goblin racial seems pretty out of place now if diseases start working as intended since they give huge maluses, and if you clean up to remove them you lose it anyway. My suggestion would be giving them an innate racial resist to disease able to be empowered by the goblin lust and breeder perks.

    Character: Mountain dwarf, purity run attempt. Anal to inside, oral to outside, resisting gangbang and vaginal.

    -There were no rape attempts while keeping danger to low, but there were quite a lot of them on standard.
    -Last build with an orc at 9 combat rating all rapes were cancelled out, now you actually get hit by a lot of them at the same rating plus feisty's virginity bonus (is it actually working?). Travel danger events however seemed easier to beat out.
    -Keeping hygiene up is not troublesome, but it is really expensive. You need to keep visting ports and buy 2-3 luxury soaps and then a bunch of regular ones to last a week or so. You still don't really make enough money to afford the expensive weaponry either.
    -I think oral might be the best way to go. Deepthroat cancels out hygiene losses and you can make a fortune in both gold and exp from the gloryhole at cities.
    -The extra virginity effects on those few talents were a nice touch, as was noting your character's tolerance to anal in the options screen.

    The stds give huge maluses as I mentioned before (if they are working) and there seems to be very little way around them. The only reason right now to play on low hygiene is to take advantage of goblin bonuses and I already touched upon the problem with that. All other builds would want to keep high hygiene anyway which is expensive but not hard to do and thus wouldn't really suffer them.
    I would suggest now that you've implemented stds to give the temple an option to treat them, partially or completely, either by lowering the time needed on high hygiene for them to disappear when using divine healing or with a new option to pay money for it.
    And for other miscellaneous stuff, it would be funny if when finishing the game with a lot of diseases you had a special ending where it's revealed you spread disease throughout the whole realm with your travels, causing either your character to feel good for herself as a kind of revenge for losing her nobility or for other nations to decide to invade or some such.
    And I'm hyped to see what you can do with fae halflings, I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out and confirmed inconsistencies with afflictions. It had something to do with the way data was being stored. Penalties will also be displayed in the status screen values now.

      I tweaked a few values with kicking afflictions, and went ahead and added a bonus to recovery to the temple divine healing. I considered the bath house, but that would make it the ultimate hygiene stop. I might move it over later but I'd like to see if this works out first.

      I'm looking at the numbers for feisty and it looks like they're fine. It seems something is off, though. I'm trying to figure it out now.

      I think I have an idea to round goblin hygiene, and I'll see what I can do with a Nurglesque disease queen.

      Delete
  4. I'd like to write up a correction to the last post:

    I just did a purity run with a wild elf, accepting oral to inside and hands and resisting everything else, perks went to feisty -> negotiation to maiden -> oral with deepthroat but no paizuri -> footjobs and you actually earn massive amounts of money, like actually more money than I earned with the goblin accepting everything all the time. I ended the game with over 2 platinum and full lv 4 clothes, weapon and academy classes plus enough soap to start a separate, less sexy tycoon game. With price at expensive with all that charm and negotiation earning 4s-5s per client was common.

    I started off on danger at safe until I got combat rating at 10 (11 on rape attempts, supposedly). At safe there were zero rape attempts, at standard I actually got 3 in a single day once but during the whole run all of them but two failed, this is with all the clients that full clothing gives and staying in each place until a day before the bounty hunters come. Travel events were all beaten as well.

    So yes, purity runs actually might be easier now than before if you allocate your perks this way instead of going for anal or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you asked for possible new events for races and whatnot:

    ->Small races getting fed off the gloryhole in towns, equivalent to standard/abundant depending on oral skill and thus number of clients. Wouldn't trigger if there're so few triggers it'd count as scarce, since then they'd just eat anyway.
    ->Possibly a smaller equivalent if you go ahead and let the character take the dumpster event anally at high scores, perhaps counting as standard food on 20+ customers and such. It's not really anatomically correct, but well..
    ->Fae halflings "learning" scrolls, thus not needing to purchase them again and again to keep casting whatever spell they had. You could put a hard limit of two spells per day or give them a mana meter refilled by taking oral/vaginal/anal to inside.
    ->Extra bonus from providing company to the old soldier in the tavern either by having high combat rating (8ish) or having fought off 3-4 rape attempts/travel dangers in the past. It could be like you trade some fighting stories before the footjob and he gives you some extra money after the act.
    ->Drinking contest in the tavern, like challenging the biggest drinker with everyone else betting on the result. Losing makes you pay depending on bets or just turns it into a gangrape, winning makes money. Small races would be penalized here while dwarves would get a massive bonus (but a penalty to money gained since who would bet against a dwarf?). It would mainly depend on your body stat and maybe healthy/immunity.
    ->Low hygiene goblins with lust/breeder on the temple pool events could gain a bonus from their pheromone stench going into the water. Either a more spirited clean up at the maiden/man events for a higher mood gain/more money or have it turn into an orgy if you go into the main pool.
    ->Likewise if that's not to your liking they could gain a fame bonus from the same things instead, as everyone in the pool exits it hornier from being exposed to the amplified smell and thus looking for your kind of business.
    ->Possibly turn the woman from the farm settlements into a half elf, making her refuse or pay less to humans/elves but have a large bonus with other half elves, playing the usual trope of half elves being shunned by full humans and full elves. The rest of races would have the event as it is.
    ->High charm and negotiation could barter down price, nympho/relief girl traits could change paying for certain things to paying with your body. I'm thinking event shops for this, like port stalls or the shady shop in towns. It wouldn't really make that much of a difference, but well.

    This was mostly stream of consciousness and I wouldn't want to go on without seeing the themes for the new settlements, so I'll just shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since this was posted but I wanted to come back and say that I've read over it a few different times since you typed it, and I do like a few of the ideas presented here.

      The drinking game concept is definitely going to be something that I want to touch on, and the glory hole modifications seem like a natural evolution.

      Those aren't the only two I liked, but they're two that are 100% going to (eventually) be included.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Very soon. I'm posting right now to talk about what I've been working on.

      Delete